Please note: for all grants starting on May 1, 2018, an author co-payment of 25% of the gross amount will be required.The University Library will initially transfer the full amount of the invoice and then issue the author with an invoice for 25% of the publication fee.
- Funding can only be provided for articles for which a member of FAU (according to Section 17 BayHSchG) is responsible for paying publication fees in their capacity as submitting author or corresponding author. The majority of the academic work should come from FAU.
- The invoice may not be issued to the University Hospital. Members of the Faculty of Medicine shall provide their FAU address on the invoice, for example “Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU), Faculty of Medicine, Chair of Internal Medicine”.
- Within projects funded by third parties with mandatory open access policies, please use the project appropriations requested for open access: the fund is intended for authors with no opportunity for alternative funding options.
- The articles to be published must appear in true open access journals which make their articles available to users online free of charge upon publication and which use strict quality assurance procedures that are recognised by the academic community of the subject of the journal. A list of the journals for which funding may generally be provided can be found in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
- Funding cannot be provided for articles published according to the open choice model in journals requiring a subscription. In addition to Springer Open Choice this also includes, for example, Hogrefe OpenMind, ACS AuthorChoice, Wiley OnlineOpen and SAGE Choice.
- The funding provided by the DFG may only be used to cover publication costs which do not exceed 2000 euros per article. The publication costs are understood as the invoice amount including value added tax. There is no coverage of higher amounts, even if the author plans to pay the differential amount himself.
- The articles to be published should include a reference to the Open Access Publishing funding programme. Please use the following or a similar sentence: ‘We acknowledge support by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) within the funding programme Open Access Publishing.’
Procedure for payment of invoices:
After receiving the invoice, the author should email the invoice, along with any information required to check that the funding requirements are met (article title, journal, publisher, costs including/excluding VAT), to the Open Access Department email@example.com.
The author will then receive a response as to whether the article is eligible for funding and whether funding is available. Unfortunately there is no guarantee of cover for all costs; there are procedures to ensure the fair distribution of means.
The invoice will be settled via bank transfer from the open access publishing fund within two to three weeks. Please inform us if payment is required within a shorter time frame.